Social justice and a holistic approach to healthcare are integrated into the entire curriculum for the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner — Post - Graduate Second Certificate. The program is designed to ensure that you are grounded in medical-pharmacological approaches to mental health, learn a “whole person” approach that integrates alternative and complementary therapies, and recognize social and diverse differences in the community that you will be serving.
Our hybrid model offers the convenience of online instruction combined with the 1:1 connection fostered by on-campus learning experiences two to three times a term. The program includes 540 hours of in-person clinical experiences facilitated by St. Catherine University.
In this program, you will:
- Achieve the clinical competencies required for the role of the psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner(PMHNP).
- Learn how to assess, diagnose, treat, and evaluate patients with psychiatric or mental health challenges.
- Acquire skills to incorporate holistic health practices into patient care.
- Develop strategies to effectively lead and navigate change.
- Apply the concepts of health equity and social determinants of health into the clinical care of patients with psychiatric and mental health challenges.
- Develop leadership skills and practical knowledge to establish an independent practice as a PMHNP.
Program at a Glance
Time to completion: 1 year
Credits required: 21
Tuition per credit (2023-2024): $1,179
Total tuition: $24,759
Rates are subject to change each June 1. Tuition and fee information
St. Catherine University also offers a Nurse Practitioner option for pediatric and adult-gerontological primary care.
A St. Catherine University education is one of the most worthwhile investments you’ll ever make, and we are committed to helping you find ways to make that investment affordable.
- New Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner — Post - Graduate Certificate students are considered for up to $1,500 in funding from the following scholarship programs: diversity, alumni, and academic achievement.
- Students employed by a St. Kate’s corporate or community partner may be eligible for a partner scholarship, reducing your tuition costs by 10%.
- Students in this certificate program are not eligible for federal Title IV funds, including direct subsidized or unsubsidized loan programs.
Plan of Study (1-year completion)
Clinical Psychopharmacology Across the Lifespan (2 credits)
Neurobiology and Psychopathologic Disorders Across the Lifespan (2 credits)
PMHNP 1: Assessment, Diagnosis and EBP Management of Psychiatric Mental Health Conditions for Adults and Older Adults (3 credits)
Psychotherapeutic Interventions Across the Lifespan: PMHNP Clinical I (1 credit)
The Business of Providing Care to Patients with Psychiatric Mental Health Disorders (1 credit)
Holistic Interventions for Patients with Psychiatric Mental Health Disorders (1 credit)
PMHNP 2: Assessment, Diagnosis and EBP Management of Psychiatric and Mental Health Conditions for Children and Families (3 credits)
Psychotherapeutic Interventions Across the Lifespan: PMHNP Clinical II (2 credits)
PMHNP 3: Role of the PMHNP; Integrated Care Across the Lifespan (3 credits)
Psychotherapeutic Interventions Across the Lifespan: PMHNP Clinical III (3 credits)
Our nation faces a critical shortage of mental health professionals, and the need has only grown during the pandemic. Nurse practitioners, equipped with their expertise in holistic patient care and ability to prescribe medications, will play a leading role in addressing this gap in primary care. Many regional employers are seeking to have their nurse practitioners add PMHNP certification to round out their scope of practice.
Employment of advanced practice nurses, including nurse practitioners, is projected to grow 45% from 2020 to 2030, much faster than the average for all occupations.
Median earnings are well over $100,000. Source: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/nurse-anesthetists-nurse-midwives-and-nurse-practitioners.htm#t
The Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner - Post Graduate Certificate program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), 3390 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 1400, Atlanta, Georgia 30326, www.acenursing.org.
Due to state-level regulations, we are unable to enroll students who will be residing in any of these states while enrolled in this program: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, and Canada.